Vegan hazelnut slice, it tastes as delicious as it looks and sounds! Get your taste buds ready for the recipe below
Think a raw brownie base, a creamy hazelnut filling, topped off with hazelnut pieces and chocolate nut butter. Chocolate and hazelnut is a dreamy combination, as I’m sure we are all familiar with. In fact, anything with chocolate usually amounts to something dreamy and delectable.
I’ve been thinking of making this slice for a while now, which then led to a brainstorm of more ideas and slice flavours. So considering how well this turned out, I hope to turn these little slice bites into a series on this site so stay tuned for that.
But for now, it’s time for you to get your hands on this recipe for this vegan hazelnut slice. Or you can stay for the dreamy photo’s, it’s up to you.
Get all the details:
As mentioned in the recipe notes, you will see I use a six cavity mini loaf pan instead of a small loaf tin. This ensured that I got even and smooth edges and when it came to cutting; we get nice even pieces! But as mentioned, if you don’t have this type of tin a small loaf tin will still work. This might just mean you get less pieces but then a bigger ratio of base to filling which isn’t necessarily a bad thing!
I use a food processor to blend all my nuts, I just like to soak them in boiling water to ensure they soften a bit – this just then helps your processor or blender out a bit. But if your equipment can tolerate blending raw nuts and seeds then feel free to use them as is.
Also, how gorgeous is my new backdrop? I recently treated myself to a few new photography backdrops from Club Backdrops and I am having way too much fun with them. The contrast between the bright pink and the dark chocolate tones really make the slices pop in these photo’s!
Vegan Hazelnut Slice
- Food processor
- 6 cavity mini loaves tin
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal
- 1/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/4 cup cacao powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 cup cashews soaked and softened
- 1/2 cup chocolate hazelnut butter of choice
- 3 tbsp almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp cacao powder optional
- Crushed hazelnuts
- Place all base ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix until combined. Evenly press mixture into your tin of choice. Place the mixture in the freezer for 1 hour to set.
- Place all of the hazelnut filling ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the mixture over your base and sprinkle your crushed hazelnuts on top, pushing them gently into the mixture so they set in there.
- For an optional topping, drizzle some extra chocolate hazelnut butter on top. Place in the freezer for a few hours to set.
- Once set, cut into squares. Keep in an airtight container in the fridge or freezer so they don't melt.