Ever wanted to experiment with jackfruit? These smoky jackfruit tacos have you covered for your next meatless endeavour.Jump to Recipe
This is one of the first times I’ve ever really experimented with jackfruit and I’m personally very impressed with the outcome.
Just by looking at these photo’s, it’s surprising once you learn that it is not actually meat in the taco’s. The smoky paprika really makes this sauce sing, and with the creamy avocado, I couldn’t stop eating these!
I used small tortilla’s for these as they are such a cute serving size, perfect for a Mexican themed dinner or as another option for lunch.
These are also super easy to make, the sauce list may look extensive but it’s super simple. Using tinned jackfruit makes this even easier, all you need to do is chop off any funny bits and shred it up like meat. Easy!
If you are wanting to keep these vegan or dairy free, they would taste great with a sour cream alternative.
I’m a fan of these as they are, but that is the great thing about taco’s – you can make them however you want. These smoky jackfruit tacos would taste great with anything. Add salsa or add some (vegan) cheese, the options are endless.
I squeezed a bit of lime juice at the end over mine, as well as in the smashed avocado, citrus fruits are definitely one of the most versatile fruits out there I think.
Smoky Jackfruit Taco’s
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red onion diced + extra for serving with tacos
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp chilli sauce or flakes
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce or paste
- 2-3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2-4 tbsp water
- 300 g packet/can of jackfruit
- 6 small soft tacos
- Red onion diced
- Spinach or lettuce washed and shredded
- Tomatoes diced
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime
- Add oil, spices, onion and garlic to a pan on low heat and cook until onion has softened.
- Add chilli sauce/flakes, tomato paste, maple syrup, soy sauce and water and mix sauce ingredients in pan until combined. Let it cook for a few minutes
- Cut jackfruit into pieces removing the triangle pieces and shredding the fibres with a fork till it resembles a pulled meat.
- Add jackfruit to the pan with the sauce and let it simmer and cook. Stir the jackfruit around the sauce to get it evenly coated.
- Cut the avocado and scoop out the flesh, smash the avocado and season with salt and pepper, lime juice, diced red onion and diced tomatoes.
- Wash, shred, dice, or grate any toppings you would like. I used spinach, tomatoes, red onion and smashed avocado.
- Once jackfruit has heated through, serve on tacos with toppings of choice and a squeeze of lime juice.